Links to Photo Albums!

Links to Web Photo Albums:
Week 1 Photos / Week 2 Photos / Photo Collages / Week 3 Photos
Week 4 Photos / Week 5 Photos / Week 6 Photos / Week 7 Photos
Weeks 8-10 Photos / Week 11 Photos / Week 12 Photos / Week 13 Photos
The photos appear small, but click on the "full screen" button for a closer look and the slide show option!

Monday, May 23, 2011

Roo sightings from choppers, fishin’ with the Aussies, Outback-bound

The scene begins at an oceanside camping ground in 1770. In steps Adele and Jason, 2 Aussies cruising their own country. During the 2 days and nights our paths intersected, we shared stories, a fishing boat, divine mud crab, philosophies of life and living, and beers. Nuff said.

Well actually, not enough said. These two rock. They took me into their home-on-wheels as instant family in the evenings, and out fishing and crabbing on their boat (and equal dibs on what came out of the crab pots) by day. Adele and Jase are on a 2-year journey in a 4WD “Troopie” (Toyota Trooper) to find themselves in their preferred, nomadic and free lifestyle (to which I can relate): on the road, and with absolutely no itinerary!

This tiny village of 1770 (pop. 56 or so) has special significance. It is where Captain James Cook first landed in Queensland… the beginning of centuries of horrible luck for the aboriginals. Betcha can’t bet what year this occurred. This weekend’s festival marked the 241st anniversary (another hint) of that moment in history. And what a coincidence it was happening while I was there! (I’ve been reading books on NZ and AU history and culture while traveling, and one of them is about Captain Cook’s explorations, specifically his encounters with the indigenous peoples, in the South Seas.)

So, after the phenomenal snorkeling experience in the GBR, and wild kangaroo tours zooming around on a “chopper” (see photos), I had a couple of days to explore surrounds before the festival. Thought I’d go scuba diving, but as mentioned in the last post, too expensive. I found myself in completely-off-the-tourist-circuit Gladstone, one of the fastest growing cities in the country (the area is rich in minerals and natural gas). Slept one night in my car to save a few bucks. Next day, socialized with locals and – surprise surprise – two more Awesome Aussies, Allen and Kate, welcomed me into their fold and hosted me in their apartment for two days! I love informal CouchSurfing!

Around came festival day and back to 1770. I missed what I wanted to see most – the Aboriginal celebration dance to open the festival. (Rather ironic, isn’t it? Aborigines helping to celebrate the beginning of the end of their culture.) Next on stage, a re-enactment of Cook’s landing by a local group of actors. The acting was so horrible it was funny! They didn’t practice their lines much it seemed. That was about it for actual events at the festival, all occurring within the first 2 hours. So after consuming some yummy Spanish tapas, I hit the road once more.

I’m heading inland: away from the big, blue, bountiful sea and into the wild, remote, rugged Outback. First scary encounter with wildlife – a mouse in my tent last night! Eek! ☺

This week’s photos: click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment