Links to Photo Albums!

Links to Web Photo Albums:
Week 1 Photos / Week 2 Photos / Photo Collages / Week 3 Photos
Week 4 Photos / Week 5 Photos / Week 6 Photos / Week 7 Photos
Weeks 8-10 Photos / Week 11 Photos / Week 12 Photos / Week 13 Photos
The photos appear small, but click on the "full screen" button for a closer look and the slide show option!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Rakiura Island = Extreme Mud + Extremely Welcoming Locals!

Unbelievable I have been in Aotearoa for 5 weeks already!  Link to this week's photos CLICK HERE.

My experience on Rakiura (Stewart Island) was magical - at least half of it, anyway!  The 3-day Rakiura hike was 2 days too long.  The first day was absolutely GORGEOUS!  Days 2 and 3 were not as much so, rainy, and EXTREMELY MUDDY.  I have no problem with getting my feet dirty, but it kinda stinks when you have to watch every footstep (so you don't go up to your knees in the stuff) and can't look around much.  The birdsong in the woods was very musical and pretty, but most of them (except the tomtit - rather chickadee-like) were way in the upper layers of foliage where I couldn't see them.  No kiwis spotted  (on the island, this subspecies can be seen during the daytime which is unusual as most kiwis are nocturnal). 

But, things changed in a BIG hurry when I arrived back in the wee village of Oban (pop. 400), the island's "big city".  After a very-much-needed shower, I headed right to the town's only pub (a super superlative - "the southernmost pub in NZ!"  Immediately, the locals took me directly into their fold and treated me as a guest of honour.  I had an out-of-this-world amazing time with this warm, welcoming, fun, goofy group!  They insisted that I stay at their homes, and for as long as I wished.  Which I did for 2 nights, but sadly felt the need to tear myself away and continue northward, as I have a WWOOFing obligation in less than 2 weeks.  I was very sad to leave my new family, and had my first big wave of homesickness shortly after departing from the island.  :(  I miss them already.

Now I'm in Queenstown, heading back up north along the West Coast.  I'm considering skydiving on my way up to the Nelson/Marlbourough/Able Tasman region.

3 comments:

  1. I suppose I really should do that skydiving thing before I get too old. And I am jealous, yes, of your excessive adventurous happiness compared to my own. However, I have not had been soaking wet and been in mud over my ankles in the last week, so there.

    So here's something. I'm watching the PBS rerun of the Civil War, and the Yankees are winning and I know they will win in the end. And now I'm watching my beloved Twins on the road in New York, and the Yankees are winning and I know they will win in the end. Glad for the former, getting so damn tired of the latter.

    Hi Jeff. How's them cats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh,ooooh. Just looked back at the photos and saw the Minnesota State Patrol car, apparently 1979 vintage. (You were three). Would love to know the story about how that vehicle ended up on the other side of the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know...that MN patrol car was so cool to see! It came out of the Twilight Zone...I was, like, so totally weirded out! I tried to hitch a ride with that captain and crew, but apparently they had too many peeps waiting for their turn to do the parade circuit (which went on for 5 hours - same 20 min. circle over and over again) that they couldn't fit me in. But...I did get a ride in an uber-cool '58 Fairlane, which made the local newspaper that weekend (the car that is, not moi)!

    ReplyDelete